Who Links Here

Monday, March 12, 2007

Joy!

Last week in Boston was a time near and dear to my withered black heart, a time of joy and redemption. Yes, children, I'm talking about that most magical of weeks - Restaurant Week 2007. This is the time of year when I feel justified in visiting restaurants that loom far out of my price range because, while I still end up spending a pretty penny on a meal, it's a comparative bargain - 30 clams gets you an appetizer, an entree, and dessert. Considering that this year's chosen restaurant sells a $14 hot dog, it would be foolish NOT to go.

The venue is called the Butcher Shop, and it is less of a restaurant and more of wine bar slash, well, butcher shop. A person can buy fine cured meats and other savories right there in the restaurant, and salamis are artfully hung overhead in various states of becoming tasty. That said, it's a stylish little joint, with a handsome soapstone bar and similar tables. The atmosphere is intimate and reminiscent of the Paris bistro that probably only exists in my head.

But let's get real here. Who cares what the place looks like, how's the food?

I've got to say, this was probably the most impressed I've been with an R-week restaurant, because they usually aren't bring their A-game to the prix-fixe cheapsters. The food is always good, but also very clearly sub-par to the regular menu. Not so at the Butcher Shop, though I did have pangs about not being able to order the charcuterie plate (I'll get you next time, Gadget!).

We started with quail galantines. These clever little morsels were served with dabs of apricot conserves and pistachios - a fantastic contrast of richness, sweetness, and salt. They were also paired with a slightly vinegary, bitter salad that rounded out the flavors.

Next we went with the hanger steak, which arrived on a bed of chive-infused potatoes and, for my personal bliss, caramelized onions. The steak was cooked perfectly (I had medium-rare while my dining companion had bloody, both cooked precisely as we'd requested) and was just enough to be satisfying. It also paired well with the wine special we'd ordered, an Italian red apparently grown in Mount Vesuvius -infused soil that I luckily can't recall the name of (because I'm sure I could not afford a bottle).

Finally, for dessert I had the mascarpone cheesecake. This was served with maple syrup and chocolate cookie crumbs. Since I am a sucker for maple, this was the clear dessert choice, but this was borne out further by the fact that in addition to being rich, creamy and smooth, the cheesecake was slightly salty rather than overbearingly sweet. I adore salt and sweet together, so I couldn't have been happier.

All in all a splendid evening, and a fine kickstart to my new dining experiences in 2007. Now I just need to taste that charcuterie plate...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home