Who Links Here

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Manifesto - What's it all about?

Bear with me people. After this, I'll stop being all introspective and go back to reporting on weird happenings and things that amuse me. (sneak preview: lightbulb jokes!)

Ok, so what's the deal with my little list? Largely it's to do with the fact that when I spend a lot of time on my own, my thoughts take on this weird, text-book kind of quality in which I become overly analytical to not much end. But now, in the age of the internet, I can learn how others do the same thing! Fun AND educational.

On to the rundown:

1.Everyone has the ability to create her/himself as the person he/she wants to be, aka: If you believe it, everyone else will.
What does it all mean: Basically, I feel like people, including myself at times, get caught up in how other people see them, and let that define them. But, my friends, this does not have to be the case. More and more I see that people regard you in the way you present yourself to them, not the other way around. If you believe hard enough that you are a certain way: happy, seductive, mysterious - other people will think you are, too.

2.Personal drama is both completely commonplace and completely unique to you. And that is ok.
Say what?: Everyone has broken up at some point, or been sad that their dog died, or been unhappy with how they look. No one is special for going through those things. How they affect you and your choices, however; I think that's different for everyone. And others going through it doesn't make it hurt any less. It just means you're not entitled to become the center of the universe because of it.

3.Very little is worth getting worked up over.
Whatchu say?: Um, this one is fairly self-explanatory. Though sometimes I feel like I am in the minority in this belief.
4.Education is critical.
What's it all about: Again, um, obvious. Kind of. What I really mean is that I firmly believe that everyone is entitled to the same education, regardless of background. I'm a product of a public school that actually worked. I hope someday they'll all be like that.
5.Loyalty is the greatest human virtue.
Huh?: I can forgive a lot of faults if someone is there for me when I need them to be. And in return, I try to be there when people need me.

6.But a sense of humor runs a close second.
Waddya mean?: Secretly, in my dark, self-absorbed heart, I mean that I like people better if they think I'm funny. It helps if they make me laugh too, though.

Should any newcomers stumble across this blog somehow, the question stands: What are the things you believe, deep down inside you? What gets you through the day, the week, life?

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Soooooooo...you can say "I told you so" now because there is a whole class at Harvard which backs you up on all this. Seriously. View the PowerPoint presentations.

10:42 AM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Eric said...

A point I try to remember when I have bad days/months/years is that no matter how bad things are, they won't stay that way forever. If people live in a bad situation that they cannot handle, one way or another, something will change to resolve the situation, be it through your own actions or through the random happenings of life.

I don't know how true this is for other people, but it has worked for me, so far.

11:44 AM, March 11, 2006  
Blogger fb said...

Is this like a Cameron Crowe/Jerry Maguire Mission Statement? ;)

8:11 AM, March 13, 2006  
Blogger fb said...

How many Surrealists does it take to put a lighbulb in?

How many bodybuilders does it take to put a lighbulb in?

(Are these the lightbulb jokes you like?)

8:13 AM, March 13, 2006  
Blogger Eric said...

TRM, may I please request your email address for previously said music shipping?

3:53 PM, March 14, 2006  
Blogger Bobby D. said...

i agree with you, that you can pull off almost anything if you believe in yourself and present yourself a certain way.
sometimes I come across a little hard edged -- like when someone tells me they "still have nightmares" after seeing someone mugged 35 years ago...
I found myself saying to the guy "Good thing you were never in Vietnam, maybe you should see a shrink about those nightmares, dude." I wasn't very supportive of him wanting to cling to the terrible night of the mugging--I mean how many NIGHTS AGO was that mugging?

Loyalty and humor are a MUST in life.

and education.

--liked your manifesto!

8:26 PM, November 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home